12 September 2007

Becoming a translator!!!

12th day in Shanghai (11/09/07)

Another day to settle all our apartment stuffs.

Woke up at 9+ am coz someone was here to fix the washing machine after which kim, Joanna and I started watching Perfect Stranger. Not too bad a show…

After watching the show, it was near 12nn and we started sweeping and mopping the floor, washing some other bed sheets and clearing up all other stuffs.

By the time we were done, it was near 2 pm when the landlord came and helped us settle some internet stuff.

Decided to go for a hair cut and asked the landlord if WenFeng is good, he said that that was the worst salon he ever seen (opps, although I thnk it’s not bad already..). The hair cut isn’t that nice and it’s expensive plus the workers are mainly students/interns.

So he brought us to another shop (just opposite my block) which he said was recommended by his friend. Hair cut there is only RMB25 (wenfeng’s is RMB50). Tried it out and yup, think it’s not bad =)

After the haircut both Kim and I went over to some shopping area (I think is NanQuan rd) in hope to buy some stuff for our accommodation (clothes rack, floor mat, basket, etc…)

In the end, we only managed to get 2 things from the road side stores; a box to put my make up and a basket to put our dirty clothes in it. Plus duplicate our main door keys

Decided to cab down to Lotus ( a place like Giant) at ‘Zheng Da Guan Chang’ to get rest of the stuffs plus more junk food. (Forgot abt the keys!!!)

Cabbed back home to put down all our stuffs and headed to buy Kim’s bolster and exchange a pillow cover and to get our keys back!!! On the way there, there were a lot of road side stores and we started shopping around there. Kim and Joanna got themselves new branded wallets (hmmm). And Kim and I got some pretty umbrellas (rainbow color =))

Went to collect our duplicated keys and headed back home. Kim and I decided to get some dumplings (just beside my block) for dinner and it tasted not bad (but we had took away so all the skins stick tgt by the time I reached home and start eating…)

After dinner was settling money stuffs again and OMG!!! I realize that we have been spending quite a lot on this hse (although split by 4 of us) and I thnk there are quite a number of things that we wouldn’t bring it back to Singapore.

Watched Fido at night and that show was BORING!!!!

13th day in Shanghai (12/09/07)

Work finally started after 4 days of off-days…(this 4 days has past so quickly!!!! Coz of the new hse!!!!)

Work up at 6am and it was so super bright outside. I thought that I was so super late that I jumped up of bed and stretched out for Kim’s HP. But my hand was too short that I dropped it… OPPS!!!

Had our breakfast before reporting for work. Reached the work place at 9am and continue to rot as usual… And when it was only 10.30-11am, the asst manager asked us if we wanted to go for our lunch.. OMG!!! There is really nothing for us to do!!!

Went for lunch at 11.30am and when we went back, one of the staff asked us to help her typed an email..

FINALLY WE ARE NEEDED… OF GOOD USE!!!!!
We became TRANSLATOR!!

The lady told us about the entire story in chinese and we would translate it to English and typed it out in the email.

After which, the manger came in and asked us to help him typed out emails. We translated about 5 or more emails I think.

I am so so glad that we are bilingual and we are able to understand both languages well enough.

It’s so cool helping the manger typed his email as we are the ones getting first hand information too. And I think that he is quite amazed too.. He said something like ‘Now I know that you guys are not paid that highly for nothing..'

After typing all the emails, it was a meeting for all the in-house staffs and all issues are regarding the emails that we typed.

Hopefully for the next 2½ months, this will be our job scope; translator!!!

And my chinese is not that bad!!!! I am able to understand 90% of the things that they said and I dun really have a problem translating.. =)

No comments: